Visit the Hotel Herzoghof, built in Art Nouveau style, and experience a lot of cultural, culinary, sports and recreational activities.
Reside in one of our 30 modern and stylishly furnished hotel rooms and get a good start to the day in the morning with a rich breakfast buffet and freshly roasted coffee. Just a few steps away, the city center with its elegant flair offers you a relaxing stay.
The opposite and historic „Kurpark“ invites you to romantic walks with historical attractions. As a UNESCO World Heritage City, Baden has much more to offer.
For private parties and business meetings, three stylish event rooms including an in-house feel-good cinema with a historic ambience are available.
Have a good journey, we are happy to welcome you.
Ines Dombois &
Opposite the main entrance to the Baden Spa Park, on an ancient settlement area, stands the traditional „Herzoghof“, which looks back on a long historical development in our town. After the Babenbergs took possession of our region in 1002, the sovereigns built their manor house on the most important site of the then still small town. The first documentary mention of the town dates back to 1258.
Then, for a long time, we do not know anything about this manor until 1420, when it was united with Baden Castle, which no longer exists today. In 1575 Emperor Maximilian II donated the so-called „ducal bath“ to the Lower Austrian estates. A copperplate engraving by Mathäus Merian from 1649 reminds of this time (from the collection „Topographia Provinciarum Austriae“).
In 1673 the ducal estate came into the possession of the Count of Sprinzenstein and from him to his sister Eleonora, Countess of Lamberg. Only 10 years later this free court was completely destroyed in the course of the Turkish wars.
In 1704, Countess Katharina von Lamberg made plans to build a chapel in honor of St. Anthony, which was completed in 1708. This can be seen from a date with the Lamberg’s coat of arms (white lamb on a mountain) and a sundial on the south side of the former building.
In 1716, the city of Baden bought the old ducal farm „with all its appurtenances and subjects“. In the great city fire of 1812, the building, which had been used as a hotel in the meantime, was spared from the fire. Probably the most famous regular guest from this period was Franz Grillparzer, who regularly stayed at the Herzoghof between 1867 and 1871.
In 1908/09 the outdated building was demolished and a magnificent new Art Nouveau building was erected according to the plans of the architect W. Luksch! At that time it was the most modern spa hotel of its time and had representative social rooms, 125 living rooms and four corner salons. As the first hotel in Austria, each room had its own telephone and, as a call for the servants, light signals instead of the bell. Each room had a washbasin with hot and cold water and each floor had individual sulfur water baths fed from the „source of origin“.
Particularly noteworthy is the still intact, almost 80 m² large glass painting in the magnificent Weilburg Hall: the work, created by the artist Otto Barth, shows a view from Baden towards the west into the Helenental, with the two ruins Rauheneck and Rauhenstein, as well as the namesake Weilburg.
Until 1989, the building, which had fallen into disrepair again, remained the property of the city of Baden. It was not until the mid-1990s that a new owner was found, with the obligation to carry out the revitalization of the hotel. However, since this did not take place, the ownership changed once again. After appropriate rezoning, a large part of the historic area was converted into apartments, offices and ordinances.
Only the part of the building between stairs 1 and 2 at Kaiser Franz Ring 10 was adapted as a hotel by Herzoghof Hotel. And since May 17, 2000, the building has once again shone in its new loving splendor.